Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Strawberry Picking!

IMG_3114


I grew up picking peaches, black-eyed peas, cantaloupe, watermelon, and a few other yummy foods. I am really grateful for that from my childhood. I think it is important to have a close connection to the food that we eat, so that we understand where it comes from, that we can appreciate the process of growing foods, and because fresh and local foods are super yummy and healthy! Maybe that's the farmer's daughter in me! When we moved to Tennessee 9 years ago, we found a blueberry patch, and picking blueberries quickly became a favorite tradition! We have found a great place not far away to pick a variety of fruits. Thank goodness they have peaches because they will always be my favorite! A close second for me are the blueberries.

IMG_3115

This year, was a first ever for me - picking STRAWBERRIES! Every year, I have wanted to go, but for some reason I always seemed to forget the strawberry season. Well, not this year! The kids and I hopped in the van last week and made our way to the patch. Let me just say that the first strawberry I picked and put in my mouth was the juiciest, sweetest strawberry I have ever eaten!!! Anyway, the big kids and I had a great time picking. The funny thing was that it was Ellery who was the serious picker, looking carefully for the ripe ones and getting them into her bucket. Kiran, on the other hand, became frustrated when he didn't have as many strawberries as Ellery and me, and it took a little explanation to help him understand that that's what happen when you are eating every strawberry you pick! Anyway, he figured it out and got on board soon afterward. Livvy slept through the event, and unfortunately I don't have photos of her on this entry. What a fun day it was!

IMG_3099

IMG_3096



We also found some cherries that day!

IMG_3101

IMG_3102

IMG_3104

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Oh how fun and yummy! Love all the pictures of your sweet family!